Sunday, 23 March 2014

20 Weeks- Half Baked

We made it!! We're officially half way through the pregnancy! My little tadpole has grown from a fetus into a baby, that's growing larger and stronger everyday. Our love is growing as we have sat in anticipation over these last few months watching my belly expand. Our minds are being blown with wonder over how our lives have already changed and what's to come in the next 4 months. This experience is absolutely amazing!

Tomorrow we have our second ultrasound, where they'll check every little inch of the baby's body. I wanted to find out what exactly they do during this appointment, as some of my pregnant pals have told me that this is a very long ultrasound. So this is what I found online that the sonographer will check during the appointment.
  • The shape and structure of your baby's head. At this stage severe brain problems, which happen very rarely, are visible.
  • Your baby's face to check for a cleft lip. Cleft palates inside a baby's mouth are hard to see and are not often picked up.
  • Your baby's spine, both along its length and in cross section, to make sure that all the bones align and that the skin covers the spine at the back.
  • Your baby's abdominal wall, to make sure it covers all the internal organs at the front.
  • Your baby's heart. The top two chambers (atria) and the bottom two chambers (ventricles) should be equal in size. The valves should open and close with each heartbeat.
  • Your baby's stomach. Your baby swallows some of the amniotic fluid that he lies in, which is seen in his stomach as a black bubble.
  • Your baby's kidneys. The sonographer will check that your baby has two kidneys, and that urine flows freely into his bladder. If your baby's bladder is empty, it should fill up during the ultrasound and be easy to see. Your baby has been peeing every half an hour or so for some months now!
  • Your baby's arms, legs, hands and feet. The sonographer will look at your baby's fingers and toes, but not count them.
  • As well as this detailed look at how your baby is growing, the sonographer will check the placenta, the umbilical cord and the amniotic fluid.
Wowzers! No wonder it's a lengthy appointment. As long as everything goes well, we'll be happy campers. I'm just focusing on not peeing on the ultrasound table! Hahahaha! Hey, that litre of water that I'll have to drink before the appointment, has to come out eventutally!

One other thing they will be able to look for, is the sex of the baby! Oh sweet baby Koz! I wonder what you'll be? Whatever you are in there, we'll have to wait one more week to find out. Sunday March 30th is our reveal party with our family and friends. We're so stoked to have everyone together to find out. 7 more days!! ahhhhhhhhh


Here are my stats for the week....



How far along are you: 20 WEEKS!!! We're 1/2 way there!
Total weight gain/loss: I'd like to take a wild guess and say I'm 15 pounds heavier than when I first got pregnant. I'll find out the real total on Thursday at my doctor's appointment. Dun dun dun!
Maternity clothes: I lucked out once again and scored 2 wicked pairs of maternity jeggings that I'm absolutely in love with! Not only do I love them, but I bought one and got the other for free. Yup, that's 2 for $40. Woooo! I needed a dress for this past weekend and I wasn't sure what kind of dress I was looking for. Looking at maternity dresses, is a bit depressing because they are so awful looking on a human body. I decided that instead of paying for a maternity dress that I may only wear once (or twice) during this pregnancy, that I might as well start really looking into a dress that I can wear when I'm back to being one person again. With the tunic style dresses that have recently become popular again, I decided to take another look at how I would look in them with a belly. And you know what?! Not too bad! So fellow preggers, I highly recommend trying on a tunic dress for any event you may have coming up. See my progress photo for what I mean.
Sleep: let me put it to you this way. Either I'm waking up to go to the bathroom every 2-4 hours, or I'm dreaming about some really wacky things. On a good note, I dreamt I had a glass of wine! Only to be turned down when I asked for a second helping. After all, they told me one is enough since I'm pregnant. hahahaha
Best moments of the week: This sweet little babe, has been moving alot and giving me such a fabulous feeling all throughout my days. It may be a coincidence, but it moves A LOT at the sound of me talking about cake, or actually eating cake. I'm going to say it's taking after it's mumma on this one and will be a lifetime cake lover :)
Food Cravings: Ahhhhh this one is so hard to say. I still haven't had one of those moments where I'd step on Paul's face to get to a certain food. (yet) But I have had situations where I've come across a certain food, for example we'll say that food was a pineapple upside down cake or a white birthday cake (thank you Karen and Cathie for bringing cake to work) I can't necessarily work, or talk, or breathe or sit still without thinking about inhaling a piece of the cake that I spotted on the counter at work. So it's safe to say that once I see a type of food in my visual periphery that is to my liking, I will take the time to have a taste. (or 2, or 3 or all of it) Word to the wise my friends; Don't put your cake in my way. You might not get it back. Oh and I also ate a whole bag of microwave popped popcorn to myself one night that may have taken me 15 minutes to polish off. Good grief.
Wedding rings on/off: Still on. Thank you cold weather for keeping my fingers skinny. (and cold)
Symptoms: Back pains. Oh boy..... I didn't see this one coming. I've read about it and continued to exercise and strengthen my back and core to ensure that the weight that I'm gaining in the front of me will be supported by my strong core. Well that all hard work went out the window when I found myself sitting in uncomfortable chairs for an hour or more a day without getting up to walk around and stretch every hour on the hour. I wish I could work in a lazy boy.... or from my bed. One or the other. I'm not that picky:)
Moods: Happy or annoyed. Today I was both. At least I'm not emotional and crying..... yet?