Tuesday, 17 December 2013

Christmas Family

I'm not a fan of Christmas. I've come to realize that it's a great holiday to look forward to when you have children around, however without them it's just a stressful time of year. I stopped exchanging presents with my friends, my family and even my own husband! In place of gifts I'd rather them make the time to see me over the holidays. That might make me sound like a Scrooge in a way, but on the other hand if someone was to need my help over the holidays, there's nothing that will stand in my way of making someone else's Christmas great! 

Every year my supervisor at work asks our shift if we would like to sponsor a family for Christmas and help the family have gifts to open from Santa. I always love helping out the families we are given because every year it's a different family, whom has a different reason of needing our help. This year we were given a family with 6 children, all between the ages of 2-12 who is being raised by a single mother.  Within a couple weeks we recieved the information on the family and their wish list. Something was different about this family. While in the past, we've had the children ask for their most favourite toys and things to do. With this family most of the kids had asked for underwear, socks and jeans. 

Most kids I know, don't ask for those things. That means they must REALLY need it. With the collection of gifts from my co workers we were able to get most of what was on their lists. With the cash donated from the rest of my shift who didn't want to shop, a couple girls and I went straight to Walmart to tackle the rest!! 

It was so much fun picking out all the games and toys we thought they'd love. Imagining their faces on Christmas when they open these gifts were getting us so excited!! We managed to get everything on their lists and then some! Even managed to grab extra gift cards for Walmart and Fortinos in case the mother wanted to get some extras. 

Once we got back to work, the girls I went shopping with we're beaming with excitement over the purchases we made. We definitely felt that this group of kids will have a great Christmas with what we picked out for them. Every child had approximately 10 gifts to open, with every item on their list purchased and then some! 

The rest of our shift finished the gifts by wrapping them all ready for pick up. 

I can't stress how happy this has made me knowing that this mother doesn't have to worry that their kids won't get anything for Christmas. I hope these kids have a great holiday this year :)