Monday, 18 November 2013

Our Sweet Beginning

September 14th 2013 couldn't have gone any better if it tried.

That's the day we were both anticipating for months and months, as the pressure kept building up on things that we needed to do and complete before our wedding day. To say that we were tired of wedding planning was an understatement. Whomever said that wedding planning is fun, must have had a wedding planner assist with all their plans because it definitely is not. Then again I'm quite the pre planner and I'd rather carry out my ideas instead of asking someone else to do it. Which means I created my own stress for the most part. (the first step is admitting, right?)

I had set the alarm on my cell phone to wake me up at 7:00am. I wanted to give myself enough the time to take it easy and not rush. When I heard my alarm, this is what I got....


Gosh I was so excited when I saw that! Today is the day!!! 

That morning instead of rushing (because I only have one speed in order to get shit done) I had my girlfriend Tiffany come to my house to do me and my bridesmaids hair and my sister's friend Nora come to do our makeup. If I can recommend any thing to a bride, it would be to have your appointments come to you! It was great not having to drive anywhere to get myself ready. I also know how lucky I was that I had friends in the hair and makeup industry that were able to come to my house for the day. While they got me beautified, I got to smile to the camera and sip on mimosas.


Before we were to leave for the ceremony I had my photographer Crystal Hahn from Crystal Hahn Photography, come to my house with her assistant to capture moments of my family and I getting ready for the day. During this process my bridesmaids would be in those photos as well. Because I have such a large group of best friends that I've had since I was little, it was difficult to have them all in my wedding party. They all mean so much to me and it would have been awful to only pick one or 2 of them. I wanted them to be apart of the day in a special way so I asked them if they all could come to my house that morning as well for some special photos with my photographer. They all were able to make it and it made for some amazing photos! Here's that I mean....


Once we arrived to the venue for the ceremony, I started thinking about how important this moment approaching meant to me. I have thought about this moment since we started the wedding planning. Oh who am I kidding!! I've thought about how this moment was going to go ever since I wanted to get married. As I watched my bridesmaids go down the aisle one by one, I began to get choked up thinking about the man I love, waiting for me at the end of that aisle as our friends and family are sitting  there watching this fantastic moment happen. I didn't want to cry! This was a happy time! I decided that I would get to the beginning of that aisle when it was my turn and yell out "I love you Paul!" But I goofed at the last minute and just ended up yelling out "Hi Paul!" which was just as effective because everyone laughed and it made me smile. No tears only smiles! Just what I needed :) So needless to say, I wore that smile all the way down that aisle and throughout the WHOLE ceremony. 


After the ceremony we went off site to a winery to have our wedding party photos done. The day was gorgeous but TOO sunny for photos! Can you believe it was TOO sunny? Who would have thought that a cloudy day is what a bride should hope for? Haha! So we took most of our photos in the shade. Regardless of where we were, our photographer captured beautiful shots of the most memorable day. 









When we arrived back at our venue the party was just getting started! Dinner was great and the speeches didn't run on (like some weddings that I've been to!). Then it was time for Paul and I to give our thank yous to everyone who had attended. While I began my thank you speech to my dad, I looked at him across the dance floor sitting in his seat begin to cough. I continued with my speech thinking that he probably wasn't even listening because he was coughing. I noticed he still continued to cough and couldn't stop. It was then when he stood up, unable to breathe as he was choking. Now all my guests turned to him, I stopped speaking and someone began to give my dad the Heimlich. This moment was awful. All I kept thinking was "C'mon dad get through this" I thought here's the moment no one here wants to see happening, my dad choking and dying on my wedding day while I'm giving my thank you speech to HIM. During this moment I spoke into the microphone asking someone to start calling 9-1-1 while one of my guests who was a doctor shouted out to the man doing the Heimlich to go lower to help hurry the process. FINALLY my dad stopped choking. Everyone looked like where scared to death and he looked embarrassed. We all had the same scary thought for a moment there and were still feeling it. How do you recover from that? I tried to reassure my guests "Ladies and gentlemen, you may think I'm a drama queen. Well here's where I get it from. Our very own drama king!" 

I went over to my dad once I had finished my thank you speech to ensure he was really ok. He said that he had taken a drink of water and it went the wrong way. He tried to cough to get it out and be discreet about it since I was speaking. Once he realized that he couldn't get it out, he then knew that he needed assistance and that's why he stood up gasping for air. That's when he told me that he wasn't comfortable doing the dance that we have practiced and prepared for, for the father/daughter dance. I can't say that I was surprised. He told me that he was embarrassed and he didn't want to jump around after he just pulled that scenario. I just agreed with him and went over to the DJ to tell him that my dad wants to change our music to just one slow song instead of the track that we had prepared.

The only other person who knew about this dance that we had planned other than Paul was my sister Kelsey. I went over to her and told her that dad didn't want to do the dance anymore and to not bother recording it. Boy, Kelsey wasn't having that!  She knew that we had practiced and this was the only time that we would ever have the opportunity to do it. She went marching over to my dad and told him just that. After a few moments of her arms moving about while trying to convince him, I went over to them. I asked what we were doing, and my dad turns to me and says "I guess we're doing it!" YES! I quickly walked back over to the DJ while Paul was dancing with his mom and told him that the plan was back on and we were going to do our dance!

Here's how it happened:) 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axHKjkEJlA8

I was lucky that a friend of mine caught these moments on camera too! 

My dad catching air during Gangham style:) 


It was awesome! Everyone loved it and settled into party mode right after that! I was so happy with the outcome of our dance because I wasn't sure if everyone was ready to party after that blip with my dad.  However, after seeing how excited we both got and how much fun we were having, I'm sure everyone realized he was ok and it was fine to get the night moving.

I couldn't express how much fun the rest of the night was. Everyone who had stayed for the dancing, jumped on the dance floor like we were on trampolines, were sweaty as if they just completed whole marathon and stayed until the lights came on! I couldn't have imagined a wedding like that. It was phenomenal! I'm so glad I got to spend that day with everyone I love and marry the man of my dreams. I'm a MRS!!!! <3