Friday, 4 October 2013

Halloween Fever

Halloween is hands down, my favourite holiday. I love how it's held in October where the leaves are changing and the air is becoming more crisp. The kids are excited over the holiday to collect candy and dress up as their favourite character. Dress up! I looooooove to dress up!! THAT's probably why I love Halloween so much. Costumes and candy. 

Over the past few years I've been buying tickets to a Halloween ball in my hometown that put on one hell of a party. I feel as if I'm past the age of bars and clubs for Halloween. Mostly because everyone around me is either wearing lingere and bunny ears, or they don't care to even dress up! When I first went to this Ball, I had no idea what I was in store for. It seemed as if this what I had been missing during Halloween! Every party goer there was not only dressed up, but their costume had shown that an effort was put into the making of it. I loved it!!!

So for every year after that, I've attended this Halloween ball at the Scottish Rite and had a blast with my friends. The first year (2008) I went as an aerobics instructor. 


The second year (2009) I wanted to try to put some more effort into my costume. Lady Gaga was really popular at this point and figured copying an outfit of hers might work in my favour! Here's the photo I used of her to be inspired by for the makeup application. 


My third year (2010) I thought I would challenge myself even more with my costume and my makeup application techniques and go as something wild and colourful. I saw the movie Avatar and knew that was what I should try to duplicate! I ordered contacts, fangs and practiced my makeup before putting it on the night of the ball. Luckily it all worked out and I won for Best Costume! How cool!! 


My fourth year (2011) I was in full Halloween mode. I really wanted a challenge after last years successful costume and wanted to make my entire costume from scratch. Again I wanted to go as a movie character and Black Swan grabbed my attention. I loved the dark psychotic image the character portrayed and believed it would be something definitely up my alley. I ordered contacts again (they MAKE the makeup come together), made my 12 layer tutu, my corset decals, moulded the clay for my crown and hair piece. I got to wear this costume twice that year as I went to 2 costume Halloween parties. I won best costume at one and most sexy at the other. So much fun! 



Last year I didn't spend much time on my costume because I had just came back from a trip. 


But this year I'm hoping to allow my creative side to go nuts and expand my costume closet with some great new pieces! I'm hoping with some creative freedom I can design my own character! Candy Queen here I come!! 
Stay tuned to see how it turned out!